Mention Inverbervie today and its current fame comes from its fish and chip shop. It is famous throughout Scotland and beyond for its prize winning fresh fish and chips.
The heritage of Inverbervie stretches well beyond this modern day fame. The Royal Burgh of Inverbervie gained its charter in 1342 when King David II was driven aground on Bervie Beach. Bervie lost the documents relating to the Royal Charter and had to reapply for its royal burgh status in 1595 when King James VI renewed the charter.
Inverbervie was the location of Scotland’s first Flax Mill and at its height had several working mills. Although the mills have gone Inverbervie is still a bustling village with busy shops, church, school and sports centre.
Inverbervie’s most famous son was Hercules Linton designer of the definitive tea clipper the Cutty Sark. The Hercules Linton Memorial Gardens were opening in 1969 by Sir Francis Chichester.
Arbuthnott is the home of the current queen’s First Lieutenant Lord Arbuthnott whose family has farmed the Mearns for centuries. The village houses an interesting church, which has been in continuous use since the 14 th century. The church was named after 5AD Pict Saint Ternan. The churchyard houses the grave of James Leslie Mitchell. During his lifetime James Leslie Mitchell was viewed as a rebel and spurned by his peers when his novels under nom de plume Lewis Grassic Gibbon gave a warts-and-all account of Mearns life in his classic work A Scot’s Quair. Nowadays Arbuthnott houses the Grassic Gibbon Centre celebrating the life and works of Lewis Grassic Gibbon.
St Cyrus is home to arguably the most beautiful beach in Scotland. Rolling sand dunes flanks the long stretch of golden sand. On top of the cliffs the village stands out as a traditional village centred round the spired church.←Back